Posted on

KIM Clone is Ready for Prime-Time

My full-time job has kept me very busy for a few weeks but some of the load will let up in the near future.  The KIM Clone works nicely and I believe all of my concerns have been addressed, so it’s about time to order some blank PC boards with all the latest fixes, build another as a test, and if that works it’ll be time to officially start selling.  A few months ago I had expected to be at this point a few weeks ago, but my plans sometimes don’t quite work out.

Initially it will be available fully assembled, with plans to offer a kit version as well.  Writing assembly instructions has taken a lot of time, and I certainly understand the value of technical writers!


Posted on

All Kinds of Stuff

First, we’re watching the TV a lot hoping for the best for Florida.  My family enjoys vacationing each year in Marco Island, which seems to be exactly where Irma is heading.  A number of our friends got out of the state in time so we’re hoping they’ll be able to return home to find little damage.

Next week my son goes to college which means I’ll be pretty much gone all next weekend and most likely doing final preparations this week during the evenings.  There might be little accomplished here for the next week in terms of Corsham Tech projects but I will do my best to answer emails.

VCF Midwest (just west of Chicago) is happening this weekend.  Normally I’d be there but my new full-time job is keeping me busy and I just didn’t want to miss a couple days of work.  Yes, I really enjoy what I do for a full-time job, which is writing embedded software.

KIM Clone status… I spent the last two weeks chasing a “software” problem and the finally realizing last night that my design was right for a 6502 but had a slight error for using a 65C02.  Once the fix was applied the 65C02 worked perfectly.  The design has been updated to accommodate either chip.  My plan is to ship with a 65C02 but all of my code is written for the 6502 so it will work with either chip.  There is one annoying problem that I know how to fix but just didn’t have time yet to address: the FT232RL backfeeds power into the main circuit, and it’ll take a couple more surface mount parts to fix.  The other outstanding hardware problem is that single step doesn’t work; it appears that a single jumper might fix it.

That’s enough for now… there is work to be done!


Posted on


The KIM Clone is working nicely with the SD card system but a few small problems were found and are being addressed.  One was simply a matter of needing 74HCT parts for some of the address decoding.  Now I’m working on smaller issues, mostly software but at least two hardware issues.  A RAM test was running for about 24 hours without errors and I leave the KIM Clone running most of the day, all day, giving me a lot of confidence that it’s stable.  For those in the engineering business, we know that endurance testing is always a big deal, and getting through a long run time is very satisfying.