This morning I started building the first of the new revision KIM Clone boards and had it running around 3 PM. Of course I spent some time doing family activities as well, so it wasn’t a full seven-hour effort. As you can see from the photo the LEDs and keypad are not populated except for the RESET button. The serial monitor came up immediately, and the only board change is working as planned. This is getting more and more complicated to build, now with three surface mount devices. Besides the FT232 chip in the upper right there are also two small level shifters that make every other component seem quite large.
We’re in a time crunch at my full-time job, so there won’t be a lot of free time in the evenings for a while. My goal is to have all of this board populated and tested by next weekend. I’m doing a parts check and ordering anything with low quantities in my inventory. BTW, I have probably close to 10,000 parts. When ordering some things, I buy 1000 at a time, many others hundreds at a time, etc.
Next weekend I’ll officially announce the sale date and price. Currently it’s looking like $225 for assembled and tested.